Table of Contents
On May 9, 2023, the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) conducted an unprecedented double draw for both the Skills Immigration and Entrepreneur Immigration categories
On May 9, 2023, the British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) made history by conducting back-to-back invitation rounds for its Skills Immigration and Entrepreneur Immigration streams. This extraordinary event highlights the province’s commitment to attracting skilled workers and entrepreneurs. In this blog, we delve into the details of the latest BC PNP draws and provide an overview of how the program works.
BC PNP Unprecedented Double Draws-Dissecting it
A. Skills Immigration Invitations
- The first draw focused on Skills Immigration, inviting a total of 155 candidates across various sectors. The breakdown of invitations was as follows:
93 Tech sector Skilled Workers and International Graduates (with EEBC option included) were invited, needing a minimum score of 90. These individuals are considered vital for the province’s rapidly growing technology industry, which demands a highly skilled workforce.
- 34 Childcare Skilled Workers and International Graduates (with EEBC option included), specifically Early Childhood Educators and Assistants (NOC 42202), were invited with a minimum score of 60. These professionals play a critical role in supporting families and fostering early childhood development in British Columbia.
- 23 Healthcare Skilled Workers and International Graduates (with EEBC option included) received invitations, requiring a minimum score of 60. These workers are essential for maintaining the quality of healthcare services in the province, particularly in light of increasing demand due to an aging population.
- 5 Skilled Workers and International Graduates (with EEBC option included) from Other Priority Occupations (NOCs 31103, 32104) were invited, requiring a minimum score of 60. These candidates represent a range of professions that contribute to the province’s diverse economy.
B. Entrepreneur Immigration Invitations
The second draw targeted entrepreneurs, issuing invitations to a total of 15 candidates across two categories:
- 5 Entrepreneurs from the Regional Pilot stream, with a minimum score of 119. This stream is designed to attract businesspeople who can establish new businesses or invest in existing ones in rural areas of British Columbia, promoting economic development in these regions.
- 10 Entrepreneurs from the Base stream, with a minimum score of 115. The Base stream focuses on attracting experienced business owners or senior managers who can establish or invest in businesses throughout the province, creating jobs and contributing to economic growth.
The BC PNP: A Pathway to British Columbia
The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) is an immigration pathway that allows the province to nominate individuals with the skills and qualifications needed to contribute to its economy. The program comprises several streams:
A. Skills Immigration: This stream targets skilled workers and international graduates in high-demand occupations. It includes the Skilled Worker, Healthcare Professional, International Graduate, International Post-Graduate, and Entry Level and Semi-Skilled Worker categories.
B. Entrepreneur Immigration: This stream aims to attract experienced entrepreneurs who can establish, invest in, and operate businesses in British Columbia. It consists of the Base and Regional Pilot categories.
C. Express Entry BC: This stream is aligned with the federal Express Entry system, allowing skilled workers and international graduates to receive a provincial nomination and fast-track their application for permanent residence.
Navigating the BC PNP Application Process
To apply for a BC PNP stream, candidates must first determine their eligibility based on the specific criteria for their chosen stream. These criteria may include factors such as work experience, education, language proficiency, and job offer requirements. Once deemed eligible, candidates can submit an Expression of Interest.